Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hannibal Rising



I went for a free movie last night without knowing the true story line about it. Hannibal Rising is a story of young Hannibal Lecter who lost his family during World War II and starts plotting revenge on the barbarians responsible to his sister's death. It's a thrilling story to me and I'm quite worried that I won't have a good sleep after that.

It stirs my mind on how cruel and insane one can end up to be in times of despair, famine and war. A thought comes into my mind when I was watching this movie: surely these situations will repeat when war comes as everything that happens on earth repeats itself though we may think that it's new, it's just a repetition of history. I was triggered by my thoughts. How I wish I won't live until that war time where I'll see human eating human just to survive, there is no compassion, no feelings and there are only selfish people doing whatever they want just to make sure that they survive at that moment.

Another unbelievable thing is seeing Hannibal taking revenge on those who have killed his sister for food during the war. Unforgivable heart will not only harm others but ourselves too. How crazy one can act just to take revenge and not learn to forgive others. I think it is not easy to forgive too but how God forgives us for the many wrongs that we have done everyday tells us that we should forgive others and it is up to God to judge the people. No doubt that it will take a lot of courage to do so; Without God's Word and guidance, I don't think we are able to do so.

I don't like the ending of the story where Hannibal is able to kill all those who have killed his sister yet without being caught. Maybe there's part 2 for this movie... To me, it doesn't bring any lessons to us besides 'encouraging' people to kill and take revenge and with a thought that we may not get caught in the end. It's just a movie to tell others the process of demanding pay backs from the barbarians, no scene of forgiveness and love.

I personally don't like the story for it does not draw any good intention to the audience.. what say you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

even though i havent seen Hannibal Rising yet, i would have guessed the ending of the story. Mr Hannibal didnt get caught in this movie because he WILL be, in the other movie, Red Dragon, which is the prelude to The Silence of the Lambs:)